24 Jan Blendid, every working girls new bestie!
I went back to work just over two weeks ago and getting back in to the swing of things, can be easier said than done. Instead of having 24 hours a day to myself, I now only have a handful, so preparation is key. Meal preparation specifically. In order for our bodies to perform optimally, we need to feed it the fuel it needs. On top of that, we are in the middle of a heat wave in Joburg. I’m talking 30-34 degrees every day. It is so hot that cooking has become an absolute no no. I literally had to get out of the kitchen because I couldn’t handle the heat.
Naturally, I found a solve for this dilemma and it’s a multi-facetted solution. The solution is Blendid Smoothies. These smoothies are made with real fruit that are already chopped up and prepared. You just need to put them in your blender, add a liquid as per the instructions. These range from almond milk to coconut water. Blend for 30 seconds, pour into a serving glass and add some pretty seeds and fruit as a garnish and enjoy!
These smoothies are quick to make, delicious and fulling. They’re also great to have in this summer heat. I love that you can store them in your freezer and pop one out when the mood strikes. I’m taking collagen peptide supplements and I like to add a scoop of collagen to these smoothies too. These DIY frozen smoothie packs were co-created with dieticians to ensure you receive a nutritious, balanced, and convenient meal on the go. I’ll also be making these in the morning for breakfast again, before I enter the chaos that is the rat race.
The names are really creative, from Halie Berry to Ginja Ninja. There are 20 exciting flavours to choose from. The website was really user friendly and once I placed my order, I received my smoothies a day later. I was really impressed with the quick turn around time. I guess in the age of instant gratification, these guys understand their audiences needs and what they are looking for.
The three smoothies I tried were:
- Klap Gym: this smoothie has peanut butter, banana, plan yoghurt, whey, cinnamon, chai seeds and almonds. The liquid I added to it was dairy milk. The best way to describe the taste of this smoothie is like a more creamy, peanut buttery version of the peanut butter bomb that we all know and love. One smoothie mix makes one big glass (enough for a meal) or two smaller glasses which are enough for a snack. I found this smoothie to be really fulling, easy to make and really satisfying. I would recommend trying this range. Please can we also have a little chuckle at the name!
- Super foodie: this smoothie has berries, banana, avocado, baby spinach, hemp, chai seeds and almonds. The liquid I added to it was coconut water. This smoothie was also creamy, delicious and fulling. It wasn’t as sweet as the klap gym, but it was super yum! I added a teaspoon of collagen peptides to this smoothie too as I was rushing out the door. It’s great for first thing in the morning when you aren’t looking for something super sweet to start your day.
- SBPB: this smoothie has strawberry, banana, peanut butter, yoghurt, chai seeds, whey, almond and goji berries. The liquid I used for this smoothie was dairy milk. As you can see, I really enjoy the peanut butter theme. These smoothies were so easy to make as I was leaving for work in the morning and as I mentioned they’re really filling too. This smoothie tasted like a little peanut butter delight, you can taste the real peanuts used in this mix.
I thought this was such a smart idea and I knew this range was made locally so I asked the CEO, Tyron Sharnock if we could do a short interview with him for the blog.
How did Blendid smoothies start?
The idea came to Tyron about 2 and a half years ago, but the business was started in December 2016 and officially launched to the public on 10 June 2017. They consider themselves to be the point of delivery for the Blender. By giving people a nutritious, convenient meal replacement smoothie in under a minute. Blendid takes out the shopping, chopping and wastage associated with making smoothies at home. Let’s be honest, if you work an 08h00-17h00 you do NOT have time to be peeling and chopping fruits every morning to get the nutrients your body is craving, Blendid cuts the hasstle out for you so you can make smoothies on the go.
Did you give up your day job to start this business?
Tyron decided to quit the corporate life (he worked in IT and in broadcast for a radio station) to study an MBA at GIBS and start Blendid. His business partner is his brother. He has a VERY tight family and they are all amazing helping hands.
Thank goodness, my wife agreed to support us financially until we grow – she’s amazing! – Tyron Sharnock
Shout out to wives who believe in their men’s vision!
He is dead set on 3 things:
- To make the world’s greatest home smoothie
- To be customer centric and do anything in our ability to make people happy and healthy
- Most importantly, to help change the current context of our country by developing our humans and create sustainable jobs that pay a living wage. If we don’t look after our country none of us will have businesses
Blendid follows many trends locally and internationally and they take inpiration for their flavour combo’s from there, but they are also really interested in what local food bloggers are saying to them. This is a brand that want’s feedback and who wants to co-create content with local food bloggers. They take what their customers say and make it healthy – they LOVE feedback!
Feel free to pop onto social media and show them some love ladies!
What are your most popular flavours?
Honey Pot, Hunger Pains and Hangover cure seem to be our best sellers this month.
Do you have any advice for entrepreneurs looking to start their own business while working a full time 08h00-17h00?
- DO it! You don’t know until you try
- “It’s better to be done than perfect” – Sheryl Sandberg
- Don’t overthink it and make sure you’re fluid enough to change as you go