31 Dec 2017 in retrospect
I recently did a post on a summary of 2017, while reading Tanya Kovarsky’s blog ‘Dear Max and Rebecca’ I came across a questionnaire that she used, and I loved this idea. Tanya found this questionnaire through Nafisa. Thank you to both of you for the great idea!
I love this time of year, a time to reflect on the year that was and to think about the new year that is to come and how much I have grown and where I still need to grow.
- What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
I started my passion project!! My beauty, lifestyle, and food blog ‘it’s a Sher thing’. This is something I’ve wanted to do for ages, in 2017 I finally had the courage to pursue this project!
- How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
At a Kosher braai with my sister, a few friends’, and my boyfriend, in Pretoria. We will be driving back to Johannesburg shortly after new years as Dyllan starts working as a Doctor at Charlotte Maxeke on 1 January. Exciting times!
- What countries did you visit?
I didn’t visit any countries this year, but I did go to Mossel Bay, Plettenburg Bay, and George for the first time. Visiting a new city can be just as exciting as visiting a new country if you’re with the right people.
- What date from 2017 will remain etched in your memory?
- 2 January – the date I met Dyllan
- 7 October – my birthday, I freaked out about turning 28!
- 21 November – the date I started it’s a Sher thing
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Starting it’s a Sher thing
- Completing my studies, my honours in marketing
- Getting into a serious relationship
- Signing up to be on my company’s Global Women’s Empowerment Network
- Winning employee of the month within my first 6 months at my company
- Going up against three other employees to stand a chance to be placed in another market for one month. I didn’t win the competition but I’m so proud of myself for taking part
- What was your biggest failure?
- Not making myself a priority
- Losing touch with friends
- Bringing my work stresses home with me
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
I suffered from anxiety for the first time, but I’m taking active measures to ensure this is better managed in 2018
- What was the best thing you bought?
My Canon EOS 750D camera.
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
Seen my friends more, exercised more and I wish I had gone on more dates with my boyfriend
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
Working such long hours, eating so much junk, taking my work stresses out on my boyfriend
- What were your favourite TV shows?
- The good doctor
- Big little lies
- 13 reasons
- Game of thrones
- American horror story
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, life is short there’s no time for hate. Wish your enemies a long life so they may see all your successes.
- What was the best book you read?
I was really bad this year, I only read the dossier of a serial sleuth and girl boss!
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
- What was your favourite film of this year?
- What did you do on your birthday?
I went to the Goliath Comedy Club in Melrose Arch with a few friends and my boyfriend. My friend Alessia organised a gorgeous rainbow cake for me as a thoughtful surprise.
- What kept you sane?
I was really bad at finding a stress reliever this year which is something I’ll work on in 2018. But a big shout out goes to Nutella and my boyfriend Dyllan. Sorry I lost the plot a few times, thank you for loving me and supporting me anyway
- Who did you miss?
My friends, my family and the ‘fun’ Tam
- Who was the best person you met?
My former account director Anne, she’s a pusher and she pushed me to start my blog and her boyfriend Mark, who helped me set up it’s a Sher thing! Thank you so much!! Oh, and my boyfriend Dyllan, sorry bug! I almost forgot you there.
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017?
- You can’t trust anyone.
- Don’t let other people’s drama distract you from your purpose.
- This is your life, do things that make you happy and make yourself a priority.
To see my previous post on 2017 in review you can go here